SBCC Chorus Director Job Description
The South Burlington Community Chorus (SBCC) is seeking a Chorus Director to begin rehearsals in September 2018. The successful candidate will lead a non-auditioned chorus of approximately 40 – 50 members. We are seeking a dynamic, enthusiastic director who has experience directing a non-auditioned choral organization, has a love of choral music, works well in a shared decision-making structure, and supports SBCC’s mission. The Director reports to a volunteer board of directors which includes a representative of the City of South Burlington Recreation Department.
Time Commitment: Must be available for weekly rehearsals from 7:00pm – 9:00pm currently on Tuesdays. Day of the week may be flexible based on availability of rehearsal space.
The SBCC is based on the recreation philosophy of providing an enjoyable leisure time opportunity for people with a common interest in Choral music. The Chorus will explore, rehearse, and perform a variety of music. The program is open to people who can demonstrate minimum musical ability as determined by the Chorus Director.
• The Director is responsible for conducting a minimum of twelve (12) rehearsals plus one dress rehearsal each, during both the fall and spring semesters, and at least two concerts- the Holiday concert in December and the spring concert typically in May.
• Along with each concert proposal, the Director shall include an estimated budget for each program at least 8 weeks prior to start of rehearsals.
• If it is deemed fiscally feasible by the Board, the Director may elect to hire a piano accompanist to assist at rehearsals and/or at concerts -using chorus funds.
• The Director also works with the Board to select music and makes arrangements with the Recreation Director and Board President to purchase the selected pieces.
• The Chorus Director works with the Board to secure a venue, including sound and lighting, for each of the concerts.
• If musicians are required, the Chorus Director selects and confirms with those individuals, and the expense for that will be funded by chorus funds with approval from the Board, out of the previously approved concert budget.
• The Chorus Director also serves as the liaison for other groups the Community Chorus is looking to partner with for performances.
• Chorus Board meetings are held at least twice each year, and the Chorus Director is required to attend those meetings.
• The Chorus Director is required to notify the Board of any absence.
Preferred Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• BA or Advanced Degree in Music with emphasis on choral conducting preferred or equivalent conducting experience.
• Piano skills sufficient to lead rehearsal from the piano.
• Familiarity with SATB choral repertoire.
• Ability to balance strong leadership skills with a spirit of collaboration with the Board.
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Positive and supportive attitude toward members.
Submit inquiries to: Mike Dowling, President SBCC, email@example.com